Lisa Delpit discusses “The Silenced Dialogue” in the article “Other People’s Children”. She examines how the race of the student or teacher can influence the instruction needed or provided in the classroom. She explains that whereas many people have good intentions, without knowledge of another’s culture these good intentions can do more harm than good. Whether or not “white people” like or are able to accept it, we are part of the “culture of power”. This “culture of power” has its own set of rules that may be easily understood and even taken for granted within the culture, but unless they are explicitly taught they preclude outsiders from being participants and therefore prevent them from having power. Knowing that there is a “culture of power” and learning the rules does not diminish the culture of the non-participants. Their culture is equally important and enables them to be successful in their homes and environments where theirs is the “culture of power”.
Children that are born into the “culture of power” are indirectly taught the codes or rules for participating in power. This puts others at a disadvantage when they are thrown into an environment, such as school, where they are not in the “culture of power” but are still expected to play by the same rules. “I suggest that schools must provide these children the content that other families from a different cultural orientation provide at home. This does not mean separating children according to family background, but instead, ensuring that each classroom incorporate strategies appropriate for all the children in its confines.” In this quote Delpit stresses the importance of explicitly teaching the rules of the “culture of power” so that all can be successful. It is important to note that these students should not be taught separately, but that educators need to provide a multi-faceted approach to learning, incorporating many different styles of teaching in each of our lessons so that all students have the opportunity to be successful and are exposed to different styles of teaching that may be different from the culture that they grew up in.
Coming from a middle-class white family I found it interesting to read that middle and upper-class families tend to avoid using directives with their children and instead use indirect requests that their children understand to be directives. Perhaps this is because I have two “old-school” Italian parents who are not afraid to exhibit power and give directives. For black children that most likely grew up in a home in which their parents gave directives it can be confusing to hear indirect requests and make the connection that these are not really options, but directives they need to follow to avoid negative consequences. “… upon entering school the child from such a family may not understand the indirect statement of the teacher as a direct command.” I have had the experience of working with quite a few children on the Autism Spectrum and found that they also need directives as opposed to indirect requests. In my teaching I make sure my expectations are always clear to my students by giving directives and I also consistently follow through with consequences so students know what to expect given their actions.
Although it is our job as educators to teach all of our students the skills they need to survive and be successful in the “culture of power”, it is important that they also learn the significance and value of their own cultures. “I tell them that their language and cultural style is unique and wonderful but that there is a political power game that is also being played, and if they want to be in on that game there are certain games that they too must play.” Delpit maintains that students need to hold onto their own culture as they learn the rules of the “culture of power” so that they too can play the “game” and be viewed as competent and hirable. Again, this is a skill that I believe all students should learn. I discuss with my students often that whereas something may be appropriate to say to your peers or at home with your family, it may not be appropriate to say to a teacher or other adult in the community. Whether it is right or not, people will make judgments about you based on the things that you say and how you say them. All students need to be explicitly taught the appropriate language to use for different situations.


I absolutely agree with your assessment of Delpit's article. I also have frequently found myself telling children I work with that although something they are doing or have done may be alright when they are at home it is not alright in school.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your perspective of Delpit's article.
ReplyDeleteIn the past when teaching I never thought twice about the "codes or rules" for participating in power. How can we expect "all" children to participate and follow the rules when clearly there are some children who don't know them, or even know they exist.
Nice blog! I agree with you as well. Before reading this article, I was not aware of how out directness in the classroom could affect students differently based on the culture they grew up in. I have worked with children with Autism as well, and automatically use directness because I found it works better. This leads me to think, if we can change our teaching style for students with special needs, we should change our teaching style for ALL students based on their individual needs and the backgrounds that they come from.
ReplyDelete